About Woolworths and TASTE
Woolworths is a South African retailer founded in 1931 as a Cape Town department store. It has become one of South Africa’s most loved and iconic brands with departments that covers food, clothing, health and beauty as well as homeware. Woolies, as what the company is fondly called, has more than 400 stores within South Africa. Woolies publish a magazine called TASTE, that provides up to date trends and inspiration about food.
Woolworths TASTE Eat Out Bursaries
The Woolworths TASTE Eat Out Bursary will be given to a qualified student to train as a professional chef at participating schools such as Silwood Cookery School (Cape Town, Western Cape), Prue Leith’s Chef’s Academy (Centurion, Gauteng), Jackie Cameron School of Food & Wine (Hilton, KwaZulu Natal), Institute of Culinary Arts (Stellenbosch) or Capsicum (nationwide).
The programme shall begin in January 2019. Applicants who have what it takes to be a culinary expert, have the passion for food and cooking and demonstrate enthusiasm in leveling up the standards of culinary industry in South Africa are invited to apply for the bursary programme. The bursary covers only the tuition, living expenses, transport costs, accommodation and personal expenses are not included in the bursary.
Woolworths TASTE Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizens
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Applicants must be able to start training on January 2019
- Minimum of six months’ work experience in a professional kitchen such as restaurant, shop or café
- Stable home environment
- Applicants must be near or is willing to attend training to the participating institution
How to Apply and Application Details
- Complete the 5-page online application OR download and complete the TASTE Bursary Application Form.
- Accompany your application with the following:
- A motivational letter which includes your goals and ambitions as well as an explanation to why you should be awarded the bursary, of no more than 200 words.
- On a separate sheet of paper, answer the following questions:
- If you were an ingredient, what would you be?
- What do you hope to be doing in five years’ time?
- Which chef or food personality do you most identify with? Why?
- Please ask a work friend/colleague to answer this question: What has it been like to work with the applicant?
- Where do you go to get food inspiration? Which websites/magazines/blogs are you most inspired by?
- Favorite photo of yourself
- Certified copy of your South African ID
- Send the completed form and required documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you not heard any response on or before 15 October 2018, please consider your application unsuccessful.
15 August 2018
Address: 19 Bree Street, Cape Town, 8001