SEIFSA Bursary 2022
The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA) is an organisation that represents the metal and engineering industry. SEIFSA participates in the support for employer Associations and developed policies to improve the business environment in which its members operate. It also negotiates collective agreements covering wages and employment conditions with the trade unions. It represents employers on the boards of the Engineering Industries Pension Fund, the Metal Industries Provident Fund, the Metal and Engineering Industries Permanent Disability Scheme, the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council Sick Pay Fund, the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council and the Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Seta (merSETA).
SEIFSA provides a complete range of products and services to Associations and their members which includes advice, assistance, consultancy (covering labour legislation, dispute resolution, employment conditions, health and safety, broad-based black economic empowerment, contract price adjustment and skills development), publications, training courses, seminars and conferences.
The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA) supports and promotes the development of skilled human capital relevant to the Steel and Engineering industry. SEIFSA grants bursaries every year to learners who are pursuing careers related to the Steel and Engineering sector. The financial assistance is awarded to qualified full-time students registered for approved undergraduate Engineering programmes at South African Universities or students studying towards a National Diploma in Engineering at Universities of Technology (UoT).
The following prescribed fields of study are accepted to the SEIFSA bursary scheme:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
Selection of recipients is based on academic merit and employees of SEIFSA member companies and their dependents will be given preference.
Full bursary amount will be paid directly to the institution. Remaining balance will be given to the student for extra educational expenses such as text-books, transport and accommodation. Costs related to supplementary exams will NOT be paid for by SEIFSA.
Bursaries are renewable each academic year, based on SEIFSA’s decision which is according to fund availability and recipient’s academic results. Bursary recipients are responsible for providing academic progress reports to SEIFSA and failure to do so may result to termination of bursary.
- Upon successful completion of studies, bursary recipients will be expected to work in companies relevant to the steel and engineering sectors in South Africa for a timeframe equivalent to the awarded bursary duration. Confirmation about the employment should be reported every year by the students to SEIFSA.
- Experiential learning for the student will be arranged by SEIFSA.
- Failure to comply with the SEIFSA bursary terms and conditions, withdrawing from the course, misconduct in terms of institution rules, unsatisfactory academic performance and not informing SEIFSA about other funding sources received will result to termination of bursary.
- SEIFSA will be entitled to recover bursary amounts paid including interest in the case, the recipient fail to work for the steel and engineering manufacturing sector after graduation. If SEIFSA cannot provide employment within 18 months, the recipient will be released of this obligation.
- Bursaries awarded must be taken up at the relevant institution calendar year otherwise they will be forfeited.
- SEIFSA must be informed immediately of any change of address.
- No change of course will be allowed without the prior written permission of SEIFSA.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen
- Maximum 35 years of age
- Minimum 75% average on Grade 12 with both Mathematics and Science
- Promotion to next year level and no failure of more than two subject/learning areas
- Proven financial need / status – Gross combined income of maximum R40,000.00 per month and maximum R20.000,00 per month if a single parent
- Passing a standard aptitude test or similar as required by the institution
- Preference will be given to applications from designated group
- Relevance of the course to the Metals and Engineering industry and areas that fills the gap in terms of scarce and critical skills
- Relatives of employers and employees within the steel and engineering manufacturing sector who are affiliated to Associations federated to SEIFSA, will be given preference
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the SEIFSA Bursary Application Form. (pdf)
- Attach copies of the following documents:
- Passport size Photograph
- Proof of registration from the Institution
- Matric results
- Updated certified transcript of most recent academic results from the institution
- South African Identity Document
- Testimonial from your Employer/School or person of Authority
- For applicants passing matric, a motivation letter of not more than one page describing with emphasis the reasons for choosing the career/field of study and the expected contribution to be made
- For students entering second/third/fourth year of study, a summary of previous year’s results must be submitted
- Medical declaration by applicant if deemed necessary or is a requirement for the relevant field of study
- Submit complete applications to either of the following methods:
- Email: bursaryapplications@seifsa.Co.Za
- Hand Delivery: 6th floor, Metal Industries House 42 Anderson Street Johannesburg
- Post: PO Box 1338 Johannesburg 2000
- Fax: 011 298 9543
Applicants will be notified of the results of their applications before the end of December every year.
Award letters will be given to the successful candidates for the confirmation of their acceptance of the award. The institution will be notified that the bursary has been awarded after confirmation of acceptance of the award.
Recipients must submit their student number and proof of registration to SEIFSA from the institution for the current academic year before the contract is forwarded to the student for signature. Existing bursary holders must reapply for the bursary annually by completing the necessary forms before 30 November for renewal for the following academic year.
Opening & Closing Date
1st November to 30 November 2020
Human Capital and Skills Development Manager
Tel: 011 298 9425
Fax: 011 298 9525