About Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust
Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust was conceived as a result of Trevor Manuel’s deployment as the MP of African National Congress to serve Mitchell’s Plain constituency in 2009, whereby he interacted with the community leaders regarding the immediate need to focus on education and skills.
On Youth Day, 16 June 2011, Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust officially launched at Spine Road High School. And ever since, its mission was to produce a generation of leaders and role models by providing deserving students financial assistance to enter into tertiary education and reach their dreams.
Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust Bursary 2020
The Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust will be awarding bursaries within all fields of study to students studying at tertiary institutions such as the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, University of Cape Town, University of Stellenbosch, University of the Western Cape, and Further Education and Training (FET) colleges.
The funds will be a maximum amount set by the Trust and will be paid directly to the educational institution at which the bursar is studying. The bursary provides partial financial assistance for registration and tuition fees, thus, applicants are encouraged to also apply for corporate bursaries, government bursaries through NSFAS or publicly funded loans or grants to cover the entire educational expenses.
Successful applicants are required to reapply for the bursary for their following years of study, in which the decision is solely based upon their academic performance.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
In order to qualify for consideration for a bursary from the Mitchell’s Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust, you must:
- Be a Grade 12 learner from one of the 17 high schools in Mitchell’s Plain or be a current recipient of a bursary from the Trust
- Reside in Mitchell’s Plain
- Studying within one of the aforementioned recognized tertiary institutions
- Have a letter of support from your school to apply for the bursary
- Meet the deadline of submissions on 30 November 2019
- Demonstrate strong academic potential
- Be in need of financial assistance
How to Apply and Application Details
Applications must be completed online at The Mitchells Plain Bursary and Role Model Trust website.
Along with the completed application form, applicants must submit clear copies of the following documentation:
- ID document
- Parent(s)/guardian’s proof of income, if none please include a sworn affidavit stating this
- If the parent(s) are deceased, please include death certificate or sworn affidavit
- Proof of residence (can rate/account bill addressed to parent/guardian or a sworn affidavit)
In addition to the documentation mentioned above, new applicants must also submit the following:
- Grade 11 exam results
- Grade 12 June and September exam results
- A copy of the receipt for the application submitted to the relevant tertiary institution
- Letter of support from the school principal
- Letter of motivation by the applicant
For current recipients:
- June and September exam results
The Trust will assess your application and may possibly require you to attend an interview. You will then be notified of your acceptance onto the bursary program, and the funds will be sent directly to the institution at which you are studying.
30 September 2020
For any queries regarding the bursary program, you may contact the bursary provider directly.
Contact Person: Genevieve Claassen
Email: [email protected]
Postal address: PO BOX 51167 Waterfront 8002