merSETA Bursary 2023
About MerSETA (Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Sector Education and Training Authority)
As an established training body in operation since 2000, MerSETA plays a vital role in ensuring that South Africa meets targets and goals in the National Skills Development Strategy. The body works in areas of metal and engineering, vehicle manufacturing, auto parts manufacturing, tyre production, and various plastic industries.
MerSETA assists students to gain training and development by paying discretionary grants to fund their studies and implementing employment programmes. There is a critical shortage of trained artisans in South Africa, a problem for a country that features manufacturing as the backbone of its economy. This gap is what MerSETA aims to fill.
merSETA Bursary 2020 – 2023
The merSETA awards bursaries in two categories:
- Annually: for students of University students
- Biannually: for students of University of Technology
And, in the following fields of study:
Semester courses for students of Universities of Technology:
- National Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- National Diploma in Electrical Engineering (heavy and light electronics & current)
- National Diploma in Industrial Engineering
- National Diploma in Metallurgy & Materials Engineering
- National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering including Mechatronics
- National Diploma in Polymer Technology
- National Diploma in Production and Operations Management
Undergraduate programmes for University students:
- BSc in Chemical Engineering
- BSc in Electrical Engineering (heavy and light electronics & current)
- BSc in Industrial Engineering
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering including Mechatronics
- BSc in Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
- BSc in Polymer Technology
- BSc in Production and Operations Management
The bursaries go to students starting from their first year of study but current students can also apply provided they have completed their courses partially with adequate results and aren’t financially able to continue with their studies.
merSETA Bursary 2020 – 2023 Requirements and Eligibility
Before applying for the bursaries, interested applicants must first satisfy the following criteria. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in their application getting disregarded:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa.
- Must be either employed by a company registered with merSETA or unemployed and wishes to work in the engineering, manufacturing, and related service sectors.
- Must have a Matric certificate or equivalent or a post-Matric qualification or equivalent.
- Must meet the minimum requirements for admission of the tertiary institution.
- Must be currently studying or intends to study in one of the fields of study mentioned above.
How to Apply and Application Details
Interested applicants may request an application form by sending an email to [email protected].
Interested applicants must also submit copies of the following documents together with the accomplished application forms. Failure to submit these documents may result in their application getting disregarded.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s ID document.
- A certified copy of the Matric certificate or equivalent.
- Proof of registration or application at a University of Technology or University in South Africa.
- If currently studying, a certified copy of the applicant’s most recent tertiary report.
- If applicable, proof of other sources of funding for the applicant’s studies.
30 June 2020 (for the first semester)
30 September 2020 (for the second semester)
Address: Pickering Park Office Suites, 14-20 Pickering St, Newton Park, Port Elizabeth
Telephone Number: +27 10 219 3000
E-mail Address: [email protected]