Jakes Gerwel Fellowship 2023
This inspirational fellowship is for students with high potential. It offers financial support, professional induction, and high-quality teacher education.
These prepare the students to become expert teachers, social entrepreneurs, and educational leaders so that they can lead system change for the purpose of achieving superior-quality education for all learners.
The fellowship offers two types of opportunities:
- Undergraduate intake for Gap year, Grade 12, and 1st-year university students
- Graduate intake (PGCE).
This fellowship covers the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Meal allowances
- Books allowance
- Tutor allowance
- Pocket money given every month
- Leadership development and academic support
- An expert teacher to be the student’s personal coach
About the Jakes Gerwel Foundation
Established in honour of the late academic, the Jakes Gerwel Foundation has been hard at work to achieve its objective of making South African society one in which human development is accessible to all. Gerwel, himself a respected academic, was deeply committed to the idea of using education to escape poverty.
The foundation focuses much of its attention on the arts, with programmes offering mentors to young writers, lyricists and songwriters who practice their craft in English, Afrikaans and Isixhosa. Together with PEN Afrikaans, the foundation offers a residency for Afrikaans writers. Gerwel was passionate about the language and keeping it alive in South African society.
Fellowship Requirements and Eligibility
The requirements for undergraduates are:
- Must believe that the classroom is a vehicle to promote social change.
- Must have the intention of study an Undergraduate Degree at UP or UCT followed by a PGCE.
- Must have a 65% average for their final results in Grade 11.
- Must be below 23 years of age by the closing date of the application.
- Must have a South African ID number.
- Demographic diversity is a founding principle.
The requirements for Teacher Fellowship (PGCE) are:
- Must be a permanent resident or a citizen of South Africa with an ID Number.
- Must be below 30 years of age by the closing date of the application.
- Must agree to teach at one of the high schools in South Africa upon completion of PGCE.
- Must apply to partner universities for academic study and placement in the PGCE course in 2023. These partner universities are the University of Cape Town, the University of Witwatersrand, the University of Johannesburg, and the University of Pretoria)
How to Apply and Application Details
Potential students will have to undergo an application process that includes the following steps:
- First, they must apply online:
For Undergraduate applicants, click here to apply.
For PGE applicants, click here to apply.
- Next, they will have a phone interview.
- The Day Selection Camp comes next.
- Once selected, they become one of the Candidate Fellows.
20 July 2020
Address: WeWork, 173 Oxford Rd, Rosebank, Johannesburg, 2196
Tel: 010 900 1244
CAPE TOWN OFFICE
Address: 46 Hof Street Oranjezicht
Tel: 021 180 4880
E-mail: [email protected]