About Department of Mineral Resources
The Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) was established to develop and govern the minerals and mining sector. DMR also aims to secure South Africa’s sustainable benefit and optimum use of the country’s mineral resources. DMR is one of the oldest Government departments in the country.
The Department has operating mines in Eastern Cape, Free State, Gauteng, Kwa-Zulu Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Northern Cape, North West and Western Cape.
Department of Mineral Resources Bursaries
The Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) is offering bursaries for full time studies for the 2020 academic year. The bursary is granted to qualified South African students from disadvantaged communities who are currently in or have completed grade 12.
The following mining-related fields of study are preferred for the bursary scheme:
- Mining Engineering
- Chemical Engineering (Mineral Processing)
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering (Extractive)
- Mining Engineering
- Mining Survey
- Rock Engineering
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African Citizens who have proven financial need but are qualified individuals from rural areas with limited access to opportunities
- Students who wish to pursue careers in the mining & minerals sector
- Applicants who want to pursue their studies at a South African University or University of Technology.
- Preference will be given to first year students
- Minimum level 6 (HG symbol B) in pure Mathematics and Science
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the DMR Bursary Application Form (pdf).
- Attach certified copies of the following required documents:
- Valid South African Identity Document
- ID both parent/s or guardian/s
- Death certicate, for deceased parent/s
- Affidavit, if the whereabouts of parent/s are unknown
- Proof of income of the parent/s or the guardian/s within than 3 months
- Affidavit, if the parent/s or guardian/s is unemployed
- Proof of residence not older than 3 months OR Municipal utility bill OR A stamped letter from a tribal authority OR a sworn affidavit to this effected
- Senior Certicate or latest Grade 12 results
- Most recent academic transcripts
- Proof of registration or Acceptance letter from the university
- Submit the application form and required documents using one of the following ways:
- Hand Delivered: The Director: Ms. Nondumiso Zulu, The Department of Mineral Resources Trevenna Campus, 70 Meintjies Street, Sunnyside
- Post: Private Bag X59, ARCADIA, 0007
- Email: GirlLearnerBursary@dmr.gov.za
Should you not receive any response on or before 17 January 2020, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Opening & Closing Date
31 October 2019
Ms. Morongwe Madisha: (012) 444 3860
Ms. Olga Sedibe: (012) 444 3309
Address: Trevenna Campus, Building 2C, C/o Meintjes & Francis Baard Street
Phone: (012) 444 – 3000
Post: Department of Mineral Resources Private Bag X59 ARCADIA 0007