Damelin – Bachelor of Applied Social Science in Community Service – BSocSci (Comm Serv)
Be inspired and bring about positive change with a Bachelor of Applied Social Science in Community Service
Why this course is perfect for you?
Are you a champion of change; a humanitarian who is driven by service, volunteerism, and dedication to your community or country? Your compassionate character can now be used to build and develop a career that is both rewarding and fulfilling.
Social Science is the ‘science of society’, and how people function and interact with each other. If you are intrigued by sociology, economics, psychology, human rights and social advocacy, and the fascinating dynamics of individuals, families and our environment, then this internationally-researched degree is for you. Each module is tailored for your learning, as it unpacks the structure, operations, and policies of society and teaches you about research techniques and ethics.
This new degree is ideal for social and community specialists working in the South African development context of HIV/AIDS. Its unique electives include a module in palliative care, ideal for social workers and directors working in geriatric care. If you would like to expand your skills in advocacy, counselling or conflict management in South Africa or globally, then this degree is a perfect fit.
How to get in?
Registering for the Bachelor of Applied Social Science in Community Service is easy. We have various touch-points for your convenience. Simply call, email, fill in an online enquiry form, or pop into one of our 17 campuses nationwide, where one of our consultants will gladly assist you.
- A National Senior Certificate with admission to study at Bachelor Degree level.
- A Senior Certificate with ‘B’ rating and English as the language of learning or first language
- National Certificate (Vocational), NQF 4 with a minimum of 60% in English as the language of learning or first language, plus no less than 60% in two other credit-bearing Matric subjects, and 70% in four vocational subjects
- Age exemption (23 years or older).
- Candidates who are 45 or younger on the first year of registration
- If you are a foreign student, without English as first language, contact us to see how you qualify
- Entry can also be through RPL
Time you will spend on the course
You can complete the degree in 3 years full-time or 4 years, part-time. A year planner and academic calendar is available at the start of the year with dates and times of classes and campus activities to help you plan your schedule.
Careers you’d be great at
- Social Worker/Directors
- Children and Youth Care Workers
- Community Practitioners
- Staff at NGOs, e.g. Old Age Homes
- Social Services Administration
- Community Based Project Work
- Community Researcher
- Caregiver Services
The strength in your qualification
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a Bachelor of Applied Social Sciences in Community Service.
Take your education to the next degree
Go even further with a higher qualification. With this degree you can study further at Damelin or another accredited institution.
*Admission to further your studies remains the prerogative of each institution and its academic council.